Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Ride For A Cause: Rizal Mountain Exploration Day 2

No comments
Shot by Niko Lopez
Mornings in Malasya are magnificent. I had my feet enclosed in the warmth of the inside of my backpack. Because I left my heavy blanket behind, I had to improvise and keep my feet from the cold. Despite being fully clothed and having my best socks on, it was futile against the morning mountain breeze.

Saturday, December 10, 2016
Courtesy of Duanne Vasquez
Courtesy of Duanne Vasquez
0600. The time I woke up was the time we were supposed to be riding out, but no one seemed to be rushing to go. The group was deciding if we would still continue on the third day because we were way behind schedule already, and judging from each of our calibers, it was evident that some of us–me, included–were bordering a meltdown. Bey and I got ready as soon as we rose, nonetheless.

0700. We had breakfast and took pictures before we half-heartedly went on our way. I say half-heartedly because the group wasn't sure if we should take the route that was originally set, or do a backtrack. I, for one, did not want to do the latter, for the sole reason of its record [on Strava] not looking cute (priorities!). So even if the locals warned us about the trail's status, it was decided that we just stick to the original plan but end the ride altogether, meaning cut it short of the last day once we reach civilization.
Courtesy of Duanne Vasquez
0800. A ten-second away river crossing await us upon leaving Malasya. It was a long ride home, but we probably won't go back so soon, we might as well capture the moment while we're there and still can!
Oyasumi's heavy carriage
1000. I wanted to leave basically everything behind and just trek my way out. That's just the exhaustion talking, of course, but I meant it for a second. This was the most tearjerker ride I've ever been on. A sadness inducing occurrence on top of the hardship, my two-month old Shimano Goretex with brand new cleats were withering away. First, the outer layer of its sole fell off. I accepted it, but I kept the materials in the hopes of getting them repaired when I get home. So the inner layer where the cleats are screwed in were what I used to literally get my feet on the ground. I noticed it quite late when the inner layer on my right shoe was gone. I thought it wouldn't fall off because the cleats were screwed in but it fell off along with the cleats. Niko was able to recover the one on my left shoe, and I put it away inside my backpack trying to save the remaining cleats. I was walking on a thin layer of sole now basically, feeling every pebble.

1200. We reached a community in Apia and we took a break there. I ate some of the trail food I had and shared it with the rest of the group to lighten my load. I also put some salt in my tongue to help me retain my fluids. Not long after we rode out, I felt my mouth getting unusually saltier–a threat of throw up incoming. I was still pedaling when I couldn't hold it anymore, dismounted from Oyasumi by reflex to vomit. After the upchuck of the biscuits I had just eaten, I took out my mashmallows to wash away the aftertaste in my mouth. Niko offered his candies as well; we gave some of them out to the kids surrounding us.

1400. Lunch has passed two hours ago but I still wasn't feeling all that hungry. We reached the main river to be crossed where we hung around for a while, cleaned our bikes, and took a dip.
Saying that my shoes got dirty is an understatement
It rained heavily while we were still basking in the river, so we needed to move along the route because the water was getting high. Nearing a place where we could rest came a local who had a log on his back, trekking the clay mud with absolute ease. He saw me struggling and offered to help. Usually, I resist and claim that I can manage, but this time, I accepted. He then proceeded to carry my heavy loaded bike AND his log. It was insane, but in my head, I wondered, if he could spare just one more thing to carry: me.

1600. We reached a sari-sari store where we had our late lunch at. I bought a can of mackerel for 27php and contributed 15php to the rice that we had cooked. Erlan gave the uncooked, extra rice to the local who suddenly became a porter for others' bikes. We ate merrily as all of us were already starving, then headed to Calawis while it's still not as dark after we finished up.

1800. I'm just estimating time now from what probably is a fake memory. It was completely dark when we reached Calawis. We were finally able to see concrete and living things other than plants. I'm not a soda person because I used to puke when I drink such but I insisted Bey, Niko, and I share two liters of soda. I contributed 13php.

1900. We exited to the Boso-Boso Highlands area in Cogeo and ate our dinner there before we split up. I spent 35php on beef pares. Duanne, Dex, and Erlan stayed for a bit while Bey, Niko, Aljon, Rhon, Jayson, and I went on our way first.

2000. Jayson was getting left behind so we took a break at a well-lit area to wait for him. A lady selling balut passed by and I bought two for 30php (at home when mum buys a dozen, I usually eat four).
Photos by Niko Lopez
2300. Rhon and Jayson parted ways with us before Bey, Niko, Aljon, Sir Dante, and I headed to Taguig. I don't remember where exactly but I do remember that around this time, people couldn't stop staring at us. When we got stopped at a red light, there was even a guy who asked us if we came from Timberland in San Mateo, Rizal. I remember answering no, then the light went green.

2400. At a 7eleven store in Bicutan when it was just me, Niko, and Aljon (Bey and Sir Dante had a different route), I bought my favorite Gulp Gatorade (Did you know that the largest Gulp cup is almost 1 liter for only 35php, while a bottle of Gatorade is only 500ml for the same price?). They didn't have that though so I got the one for 20php. There were child beggars scattered about and they looked at me as if I was one of them. As a long distance biker, I have experienced being bothered by beggars when stopping by convenience stores, but this time, I was never bothered. I laughed to myself at that fact, especially when one of them finally broke the awkwardness to tell his friends to check out my very dirty shoes. A child beggar near me was playing with his coins and one of the coins accidentally flew in my lap. I laughed at the kid, "Binibigay mo ba 'to sa 'kin?" (Are you giving this to me?) I handed it back to him and then I reached into my backpack to give him what remains of my snacks: marshmallows! The others gathered around as they asked for a piece too so I just gave the whole pack to one kid for him to share with the rest.

Sunday, December 11, 2016
0200. I finally reached home around this time. I rested for a bit before I got cleaned up for bed.

See also: Ride For A Cause: Rizal Mountain Exploration Day 1

RIDE SUMMARY
DISTANCE: approximately 170km
ROUTE: Bacoor-Las Piñas-Parañaque-Pasay-Manila-Quezon City-Caloocan
Pangarap trail-Mascap-Puray-Mt. Ayaas-Malasya-Apia-Calawis
Cogeo-Marikina-Pasig-Pateros-Taguig-Sucat-Las Piñas-Bacoor
TERRAIN: 80% trail, 20% road; some unbikable uphills and downhills
TIME: 2-day ride; saddle time is 14 hours and 30 minutes
DAMAGE: 410PHP
DIFFICULTY: 10/10

No comments :

Post a Comment