Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Ride For A Cause: Rizal Mountain Exploration Day 1

No comments

My friend Duanne, who I met through Hip Hop affiliates in 2011, set up a Ride For A Cause with Dex (Duanne's friend who Bey and I met when we rode to Mt. Balagbag in April 2016). The Ride For A Cause was supposedly going to be for three days, however, because of the status of the trail (almost knee-deep clay mud) and unexpected occurrences (Duanne and Niko getting attacked by bees, Bey and Niko's cliff-hanging crashes, Dex leaving blood on trail from stepping on a sharp pointy branch bare-footed as well as his pedal breaking, and then there's me accidentally biting my tongue from always having something to munch), the ride fell one day short. We gathered joiners by posting invites online and I, being from the South, was the self-initiated appointee to tag other Southerners along. We went on our way early Friday, December 9, 2016, which was actually my birthday and the first official day of my freedom (I quit my job).

Friday, December 9, 2016
0200. I woke up one hour before my ride out time. We were to meet up with Duanne, Dex, and two other joiners friends with them, Erlan and Jason, at BPI Lagro near SM Fairview at 6:00AM sharp. I already had everything prepared–I set up my bike with the carrier installed (by the demonization of Erlan through our groupchat) and my stuff were packed in my heavy carriage. I still had to bring a backpack for extra space because there were groceries bought for Kuya Amang and his family (the Dumagats who welcomed us into their home) to be divided to carry among the ten of us who subjected ourselves to [the] excruciating ride.

Things I brought (from top left to bottom right): shaul and face towel; underwear and cold weather clothes; plastic bags; sports camera; slippers; bike tools - allen keys, patch kit, tire levers, tail light, headlight, extra interior, pump; powerbank, extra batteries, selfie ring light, LED light; eyewear case and cleaner; camera floater; toiletries - toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, deodorant, sunblock gel, panty liners, feminine wipes; first aid kit - alcohol, cotton, q-tips, bandages, betadine; raincoat (which served as not only a raincoat but a bedsheet); mess kit - food container, spoon, and fork; the rest are food and snacks, obviously. (Those I ended up not bringing are greyed out - extra clothing, blanket, and some snacks).

0300. Time to ride out. I was to meet up with Aljon in Parañaque at 3:30AM. Aljon was one of the joiners who saw the invite online, so I didn't really know him. But hats off to this guy! Crazy strong!

0330. I set the meeting place for Niko, Bey, and Sir Dante (Bhike Quest) in Parañaque as well so the five of us can be gathered up to fetch Rhon, another joiner from the webz, in Manila at 4:00AM.

0400. We were running kinda late on schedule but because Bey set the pace at a heart-stressing rate, we were able to catch up. After a moment of easing into the flow of traffic, the six of us went on our way.
I took this photo with my phone taking cover from the headwind behind Bey and Niko. The motion makes my hand shake; I still haven't mounted the sports camera yet so I'd have to make do with this.

0500. Rhon was wheezing from the pace Bey set and to be honest, I was too, so I suggested that we take a break at the next 7-eleven store that we'll pass by. We were already along Commonwealth when we took our first and only break. I also needed it to mount the sports camera. I don't ride alone with a camera on display because I believe it will attract bad juju(?), and because we were running late at the earlier meetup, I wasn't able to put it in place then even though we were already a pack of 5 and 6 running at that time.
Don't you just love the sight of bikes compressed together? 😍
0545. We arrived at the meetup 15 minutes early. Erlan and Jason were already there. Not long after, Duanne and Dex showed up with the groceries. We had a respective category of items to carry. Mine was going to be our dinner. The others had canned goods, biscuits, and kitchen staples like rice. Each of us contributed 200PHP. We wanted to arrive at 2,000PHP funds for the groceries but we didn't want to spend more than we could afford, that's why needed more people for a wider division of expenses (originally, it was just us four: Duanne, Dex, Bey, and me). The 200PHP of each person included not just the goods for the Dumagats, but also Day 1 dinner and Day 2 breakfast.
(From left to right) Bey, Niko, Jayson, Sir Dante, me, Rhon, Aljon | Photo by Erlan Roxas
0700. I lost track of time after we made it in advance at the main meetup, but to keep the itinerary going, I'm just going to place an estimate of what time the happenings occurred from here on out. So around 7:00AM, we went on our way to the first order of business: Pangarap trail. This was the only familiar thing in the route Duanne and Dex created; they took Bey and I here already when we went to Mt. Balagbag.


0900.
We arrived at San Isidro and had breakfast after exiting Pangarap trail. I spent 75PHP on papaitan and 4 rice (2 I ate there, 2 I took to-go to pair with my pouched corned beef). We needed to prepare a packed lunch because there won't be any carinderias on the mountain to buy lunch at anymore.
The view of our parked bikes across the carinderia | Shot by Erlan Roxas
0930. We probably departed around this time to the next traps in line: Mascap, Puray, and Mt. Ayaas.
Photos of Bey Puno courtesy of Duanne Vasquez
1100. It's almost lunch time and I was falling behind. I didn't have much training because I was cramming from wrapping up my last days at work. You stop training at the gym/dojo (I used to do karate), you suddenly become like jelly. I can't afford to send myself to the gym anymore, so I eat like a construction worker as an alternative training. 😞 I had to sacrifice some privileges when I decided to quit my job in order to lead a much simpler life, which is what I try to achieve and always remind myself of in this material world. Expensive weight training, luxury food, constant bike upgrades, and getting waxed all has to go.

1300. When I caught up to the group taking a break at a shelter of a local family who took us in when it rained, we had our lunch. Eating is so much more rewarding when you are starving that even the simplest meals are delicious. I opened my pouched corned beef and the rice I got from the carinderia. Some of us had dishes ordered and cooked from the carinderia while others opened one of their own canned goods.
Photos by Erlan Roxas, courtesy of Dex Badion
1730. After the rain had passed during lunch, we went on our way to go to Malasya where Kuya Amang and his family are residing. Time flew so fast, yet the kilometers I was conquering seemed miniscule. It was almost sundown and I was, again, falling behind. I was alone at the trail convincing myself, Sweeper ako (I'm [the] sweeper). I was still not able to catch up to anyone. I remember just talking to myself at the trails, stressing how I was so alone (happy birthday!), calling my mom's name (errrr... okay, well, calling my mom. Technically, my mom's name is not "Mama"), thinking, This is what I get for letting myself turn weak. So I gathered all my willpower not to be afraid. I finally caught up to two other guys, Erlan and Rhon. At least when it turned dark, I wasn't alone anymore. I wasn't scared anymore because the two of them were already scared as it was. If I joined in, we might not have made it to Malasya and just sat in fright idly.
There's no electricity on the mountain, so it was very dark. Good thing I had quite a few lights with me.
1830. Much doubts were tossed at me, who suddenly became the ride leader. Because none of us had been there before, we didn't know if the path we're taking was correct. We knew we were supposed to reach some kind of a river, but because there was no sound of water anywhere and it felt like we had been moving forever, the doubts just didn't stop despite following clear tracks of bike wheels on the mud. A gush of hope finally ran through the three of us when lights lit up coming from afar the path we were taking. It was them, I hoped. Faster movements, the lights seemed to be across us now. We smell smokes from cigarette and the dusty reflection from the lights confirmed it. Duanne? Dex? Bey? No, it was illegal loggers (or so I assume... who cuts down trees at night?). My previous efforts to shrug feelings of fear collapsed. I wasn't speaking; Erlan and Rhon greeted them a good evening, though. I was pushy to continue on when they decided to stop on a downhill track. What the fuck? I couldn't handle my fright anymore, so I said, "Baba na!" Go down! I ordered. The two men took a second look, realizing that I was a girl. We went down the track before anyone could react. Another set of lights were flashing at us from way down. For sure, this is them. I had hoped again. And it was. All we had to do at that point was keep going.

1945. We finally made it to Kuya Amang's! I was so tired that I threw Oyasumi to the ground. I was taken aback to be greeted with such disquiet; everyone was worried before they saw our lights on the mountain sides, which was still quite far so they thought they'd flash their lights too as a way of communicating. I'm fine, I'm fine. I told them. I told myself. Dex saw me and gave me a kiss on the head as he expressed his concern and intent to go after us if we still haven't arrived at 8:00PM. I wailed, "Ang baho ko, ano ko ba!" (I reek!), surprised to see him perturbed. My deodorant has already expired. All I planned to do was to take a bath and sleep. The river was a few steps away, so I got some water in a pail and washed my stanky underarms and head. Bathing in an open space was quite a challenge (there's no bathrooms, of course) but I managed to change my underwear still. I figured it's so dark, how could anyone see. 😂

2030. I told Duanne I wasn't hungry and that I wanted to go straight to bed after getting cleaned up, but when dinner was served, I ate a lot! No one seemed to have taken a photo of the scene, as everyone was busy refueling. I still went to bed shortly after though, as we were to get up at 5:00AM the next day... supposedly. First to come to bed was me, followed by Niko, Aljon, and Rhon. Then in the middle of the night, I awoke when I heard Bey coming to a different kubo. I was laughing at her, calling her name so she could have a place to sleep, "Bey! Bey! Dito ka sa tabi ko!" for I have reserved her a spot beside me.

See my Ride to Kuya Amang's.

No comments :

Post a Comment