Sunday, May 14, 2017

Life as a swim teacher | Batch 2

No comments
Batch 2 started out weak for me, getting my first tardy of four minutes on the first day, followed by eight minutes the next day, and then one minute the day after that. I have been coughing myself silly every night that it's so hard for me to fall asleep in time, so I get up a little bit later than planned. There's this self-imposed one-peso-per-minute rule by Coach Madel: you have to pay one peso for every minute that you go past the 7:30AM call time. I have not paid a single centavo [yet], and to be honest, I have no intentions of paying for anything from the get-go. I don't bring cash with me anyway unless I know there's gonna be something I'd have to bring money for, otherwise, McDonald's coupons are my main form of currency.

Saturday, April 29, 2017. High from the Batch 1 graduation yesterday, I couldn't help but feel melancholic about not seeing the same set of kids on the usual hours. It's not as busy as when the first batch started, so the atmosphere seems a little dull with new and fewer faces... but maybe it's just too soon to say. I've mentioned having doubts about handling my Batch 1 re-enrollees who passed Jammer 1 and is now going to be Jammer 2, so Nikko gave me a brief lesson of it during lunchtime. It's a complete 180 when you become the student all of a sudden and it makes you realize that the things you want your students to be able to do can't always be achieved on just the first try. Patience really is a virtue. I'm still not confident to handle Jammer 2, though. I can't even do a spanking butterfly yet; my timing and form is just off.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017. I am someone who doesn't like being called out for any errors, so I try my best to just always do good and right. But during my 10AM-11AM class, I got a complaint about having favoritism, which wasn't the case at all. I handle four kids at the said hour: Meecah Ellen, Erin, Vincent, and Kratos. Because Meecah Ellen is a far better swimmer than the rest, I decided to advance her lesson. Though I wouldn't have steered away from the lesson plan for all the kids had her mother not went to me to tell that Meecah Ellen already knows how to do this and that, implying that I shouldn't treat her like the other kids within the same age group. I admit to have taken more time with Meecah Ellen because of her lesson being different, not because she was my favorite. Also, because I got pressured by her mom who was watching me like a hawk. I knew that my distribution of time among the four of them was becoming unparalleled, so I tried to level it but I was already judged by one of the parents of the other three kids and expressed dissatisfaction of my work to Coach Madel. Coach Madel told me off right away, setting my mood on a down low for the next class. I can't help but compare every superior I encounter to Coach Rose, because if Coach Rose had done the telling off, she would leave you encouraged to take on another class after learning from your mistakes. Coach Rose is so much like one of the trainers in my previous work, Paula Serrano--exuding radiance all over the place they grace their presence with. The world needs more Coach Roses and Paula Serranos. I'm not trying to be one-sided about being told off, I know I can be combative when it comes to taking in points and criticism so I'm learning not to react to it in that manner and just take it as it is (keyword: learning). When the next class came, I handled two 8-year-old kids: Atom and Issa. I knew Atom was psychologically-challenged when he grabbed my butt underwater and tried to kiss Issa while doing bubbles, and it was affirmed by his relatives. I scolded him about it as it can be a pretty serious offense. Kids who behave like him are the people I hate today.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017. I feel so sick but I also don't want to miss work, so I get loaded with Vitamin C and Calcium tablets. This is the kind of job that I'm happy to get up for. It only feels like work because it's a business with a holy facade built under capitalism, but the actuality of it is as fun as you make it.

Thursday, May 4, 2017. Sofia, from my 2-3PM class in Batch 1, is now in my 3-4PM class in Batch 2. I've been handling her (Jammer 2) along with two other re-enrollees (Jammer 1) from the previous years: Clyde and Gabe. Clyde is quite hard to teach. He sure can swim, but he can't follow instructions. He thinks he's already the greatest swimmer, that's why he's not listening. To break his hardheadedness, the four of us did a race. Yes, I included myself. It's also another way for me to have fun while doing work. I didn't give my 100%, of course. I just showed how executing the correct form by knowing your timing and breathing properly can make you much faster in the water. He ended up finishing last and it definitely humbled him.

Friday, May 5, 2017. First time to get a flat since I started biking to work. It wasn't anything sharp that I might have run over on the road but a botched patch job from an old puncture, because the patch I used has reached its last stretch and decided to give up its hold (don't buy the orange patches!).

Atom was being very difficult today, kept saying he hates Issa and started throwing tantrums underwater so I called his attention by shouting the loudest "Atom" I could. I then got reprimanded by Coach Madel for shouting too loudly. Coach Madel took Atom out of my class and handled him herself.

Saturday, May 6, 2017. There were only 3 students at the last hour so Coach Madel had Fatima and Nikko teach Rich and I the advanced lesson while Jayvee, our Saturday reliever, handled the 3 students. We started with a 50-meter kick with kick board warm-up, then we proceeded with the back stroke and butterfly lesson. When the hour was up, all of us went on a supposed 200-meter swim, but only did 150.

Monday, May 8, 2017. Time for students' first assessment.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017. I'm really lucky with my students, they are so great! It's so easy to get through the day because of them. I was asked by Shiloh, one of the two students in my 4-5PM class, "Teacher Klarize, what do you like about swimming?" I told him, "I like how I can flow in the water... I feel weightless. What about you, what do you like about swimming?" Shiloh responded, "You know every time we finish swimming, even if I'm out of the water I still feel like I'm in it. I like it." The conversations I have with kids are much more sensible than the conversations I have with my own age group sometimes. I was very impressed with his dive, too! When he dove on the diving block, he landed very spectacularly and it wasn't only once. Shiloh and his neighbor, RB, are my only students at the last hour. They are very well-behaved and well-mannered boys who don't even want to play when asked. "Oh, there's only five minutes left. Do you guys wanna play?" RB answers, "No, I just want to learn. I want to be able to know how to save people in the water someday. I can play later." AREN'T THESE KIDS ADORABLE!!! ❤ Parenting done right >>>

Today's baon prepared by me: rice, egg, and chicken teriyaki
Wednesday, May 10, 2017. Final assessment of students. One more day until the end of Batch 2.

Batch 2 Graduation Day: me, discussing the Aqua Code
Thursday, May 11, 2017. I was appointed to discuss the Aqua Code for this batch but because my voice is shut due to being sick, and I think I was too far away from the kids too, Coach Madel took over the discussion. With that said, what is the Aqua Code?

According to the Philippine report presented at the World Conference on Drowning Prevention (WCDP) 2011, more than 8 persons die due to drowning everyday and it is the leading cause of death in children. The Aqua Code are tips on how to be safe while having fun in the water.

Tips before swimming
Tip #1: Never swim alone. We don't know when accidents can happen and if you are all by yourself, no one can call for rescue. Even if you can swim, if you get muscle cramps, you might need help.

Tip #2: Read the pool rules and signs to know the rules and regulations of a swimming area.

Tip #3: Don't rely on floatation devices because it may have a faulty design or its improper use can also lead to a drowning incident.

Tip #4: Be familiarized with the pool area to know what area is safe or dangerous, to identify where the deep and shallow part is, and to recognize the life guard's area.

Tips on personal survival
Tip #5: If you're having a problem in the water, don't panic. Roll on your back and wave.

Tip #6: Use Improvised Floatation Device (IFD). T-Shirt and Jogging Pants can be used as an IFD by inflating it.

HELP - Hold on to each other with your knees bent and look up with ears submerged in the water
Tip #7: Do the Heat Lessening Escape Posture (HELP) or Huddle Position to maintain your body temperature while waiting for rescue. This position can prevent hypothermia.

Tips on saving a distressed person in the water
Tip #8: Call for help. Don't get into the water and save the drowning person yourself because they can pull you down. A distressed person in the water is three times stronger than you. It's wiser to call for help especially if you are not a trained professional to conduct an emergency rescue.

Tip #9: Do the reach-and-throw rescue. If the drowning person is close enough to the edge of the pool, you can use long objects such as a pole, a broomstick, or a bunch of tied up towels to save them.
[❌] INCORRECT: Don't stand up when you reach the long object to the drowning person as you can get pulled into the water
[✅] CORRECT: Lay on your chest, reach the drowning person with the long object, and then pull them closer to the edge
If the water is too deep or dangerous to enter or if the victim is too far out to be reached by the long object, a throwing assist may be wisest. Using the under-throw technique, you can throw near them (not at them) a kick board, a life ring, or any object that floats big enough for them to hold onto.

The best tip of all is, Tip #10: Learn how to swim!

1/2 Graduation: Andrei, Marianne, Gabe, Kenrich, Thomas, me, Aliyah, Clyde, Savina, and Sid
[not in photo: Terrence and Sofia]
2/2 Graduation: RB, Kurt, Shiloh, Meecah Ellen, Erin, me, Kratos, Vincent, Issa
[not in photo: Sza Sza, Karl, and Charisse]

No comments :

Post a Comment